Thursday, June 9, 2016

Poltergeist III 1988 Review by Mike Nelson

Poltergeist III 1988 ★½

Poltergeist is one of my favorite movies.
Poltergeist II isn't terrible, but it's not very good.
Poltergeist III is a whole other beast. Since I hadn't seen it in decades, I figured what the hell, it's time for a revisit. I hadn't remembered much about it, aside from a lot of mirrors and some kid bursting out of a frozen-over pool. It had developed a poor reputation, so I knew it would be bad, but I had some hope that it could charm me with nostalgia, or perhaps some good-natured silliness. It didn't charm me.
Outside of series staples taken from the previous films, there was little in the way of inspiration here. "What kinds of scenarios could we construct in a high-rise, go!" and "What kinds of scenarios could we construct around mirrors, go!" were probably the two most ambitious thoughts during the entire film's creation. The story felt rushed at best and made-up on-the-fly at worst. There's tons of padding, a good portion of it devoted to poor Tom Skerritt and poor Nancy Allen running in circles and looking terrified. There were some really awkward line readings and many of the performances seemed phoned in.
Avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment