Saturday, May 23, 2015

My take on the remake from a huge fan of the 1980's Poltergeist trilogy

Hi,all,I'm here to give my review of the remake of our favorite horror movie franchise that hit theaters officially on Friday (Thursday night was technically the remake's debut in theaters in select markets).I live in southern Westchester,NY,just to the north of NYC, so I had several theaters to choose from and chose the theater at White Plains' City Center. I was surprised to see that the movie was offered both in 3D and regular 2D I guess (I was under the impression that there was only a 3D version),so I chose the latter. I went in at 10 minutes to 7PM, and as I expected,I sat through 20 minutes of ads and coming attractions. Now,I'm not going to go scene-by-scene, blow-by-blow for those still intending on seeing the remake in the coming days and weeks but I do have to admit that I went in with a bias about both remakes in general,and this remake in particular. At first,when I heard about the rumors for this remake 2 or 3 years ago,I scoffed at this,as I'd rather have a fourth movie or third sequel,albeit 27 years after the events of Poltergeist III. I also scoffed at the idea of the characters being renamed,both in the family name "Bowens", as well as the character names even of the minor characters. However,if they were going to stick with the Freelings, at least make sure that they all look like the actors from the 1982 original if you're not going to have said original actors reprise their roles. Anyway, I've read some of the critics' criticisms (would they be critics if they didn't have any criticisms of the movie that they're reviewing?), and tend to agree with them and it did seem a little fast-paced and some of the scenes did seem to be cut (there's information that confirms this going around the Internet) too abruptly, especially the "tree scene", during the "abduction scene", in which the tree just suddenly, abruptly releases the little boy (named Griffin in this, Robbie in the original),but then again,to quote Taylor from Poltergeist II: "I was protecting Carol Anne (Madison in the remake); it's her he's after...............", so I guess once Madison was taken by the ghosts in the closet the ghosts possessing the tree decided it had had enough of playing with Griffin (in the 1982 original the tree tries to eat Robbie). I did like some of the lines from the 1982 original being used by the characters in the remake, though even with that, some of the lines seemed to be cut as a sentence or two was left out (for those who have yet to see the remake,but have seen the 1982 original,you'll see what I mean once you fork over your $15 or so to watch this), in some scenes. There is some good news on this front as already there's information going around that an extended cut Blu-ray edition will hit the stores later this year or next year and hopefully the DVD version will add deleted scenes as well, though there's no information as to exactly when these will be released/made available for purchase.Overall,I did like this movie and though the pacing might take this down a star or two (or a few points on a scale of 1-10), I give this either 3 stars or a 6/10 or 7/10 rating, while the 1982 original was widely given 4 stars and an 8/10 or 9/10 rating, so while 1982 beats 2015, this movie will entertain especially those into jump scares and movies that have a few gross-out, creepy scenes but aren't chock-full of them but whether those beholden to the 1982 original and it's 2 sequels will enjoy this remake/reimagining remains to be seen, but to this one fan beholden to the 1980's trilogy,this was an acceptable time-filler in its own right even if it doesn't hold a candle to the 1982 original.   

No comments:

Post a Comment